Recommended healing products: ProntoLind Gel and ProntoLind Spray with a polyhexanide-betaine complex from Prontomed.
Daily care for external piercings (Twice a day for 3 weeks then once a day for another 3 weeks):
1. Wash your hands before touching the piercing and disinfect your hands afterward.
2. Spray on ProntoLind Spray and leave it on for 30 seconds. Then wipe it clean with a smooth tissue (paper towel or kleenex, no cotton balls!)
3. Apply ProntoLind Gel and let it absorb. Then carefully begin to move the piercing backwards and forwards.
(Do not twist the piercing/implant, and do not even move the surface piercings!)
The surface piercing should be touched as little as possible (wash and disinfect your hands if doing so), and exposed to as little irritation as possible as well.
Do not remove or twist the piercing when cleaning, since this can further damage the wound canal.
Use ProntoLind-Spray and ProntoLind-Gel twice a day for the first 2-3 weeks, then once a day for another 3 weeks.
Healing process for all Piercings:
- Depending on the area, the initial healing of a surface piercing can take anywhere between 3 – 12 weeks, and up to 12 months for a complete recovery. A swelling of the lymph nodes in the first few weeks is completely normal.
- At the beginning, make sure you have a professional piercer switch your jewelry to another size of ball, bar, or ring.
- Never tape the piercing wound shut. Also avoid “wound” ointments, alcohol or chlorine-based disinfectants, hydrogen peroxide, and essential oils.
- Saunas, sunbeds, steam baths, and any kind of swimming in pools should be avoided for two weeks. Exposure to sea water is allowed after 3-7 days.
- Do not color or dye your hair for the first 6 weeks; use caution when combing your hair or visiting the hairdresser/barber.
- It is normal for there to be a wound secretion around the pierced area (initially clear, then yellowish-brown, not to be confused with pus) and for it to become sebaceous. This is part of the healing process, and can be removed with ProntoLind Spray, or when showering.
- A slight reddening and swelling of the skin and light post-treatment bleeding are normal in the first 10 days.
- When engaging in everyday tasks such as dressing, undressing, eating, shaving, applying cream, showering, washing, opening and closing cupboards, be careful that the piercing does not get caught in something and tear.
- Avoid lying down for too long or exerting undue pressure on the pierced area, as this can cause damage. We recommend our Piercing Pillow.
- If you see the piercing growing in a “crooked” direction, you can lightly twist it in the opposite direction and hold it there a few seconds in order to set it straight again.
Specific healing process for genital piercings:
- When you’ve gotten a genital piercing, you should give yourself some time before resuming normal sexual relations. Depending on the area, this can be between 7-14 days. Your piercer will give you more details. In any case, you should use a condom in this period and make sure you clean the area immediately afterward, following the guideline outlined here.
- Take special care not to tear the piercing when shaving. Use a tweezer for that area if necessary.
- You may have some post-operation bleeding or a hematoma (which is completely normal), therefore I would recommend using a panty liner in the first days, and apply ProntoLind products as described.
- Your own urine is an extremely effective healing agent which you should apply in addition to the other products mentioned.
Concerns & Questions:
Should there be unexpected problems during the healing process, or should you have any doubts, contact your piercer immediately or write to us. Most complications also hypertrophic scars can be straightened out quickly with the right treatment. In case of an emergency occurring outside of our work hours, go to the hospital immediately.